Copy & Paste This Code:

Sunday, January 26, 2014

A turn for the worse...

Well, unfortunately after having a few great days with Mayleigh smiling and happy, things went down hill yesterday. She started being more clingly and fussy, kind of like she was in China. We also noticed that she was having yucky diapers. What gave her the first UTI was the stool that was getting down to her urinary tract and this started happening again yesterday. While she was happy for those few days she had clear urine. Obviously there cant be anything comfortable about having stool coming out where you pee. :( We had an appt for Mayleigh at Dr Patel for tomorrow (Monday) to get on the preventative meds for UTI's but after emailing with the surgeon yesterday about the stool, he suggested calling Dr. Patel instead of waiting until Monday. Dr. Patel was worried about waiting to long to clear the infection and her becoming more dehydrated, which we were already slightly concerned about. So last night around 7:45 we checked into the hospital. Luckily my mom is still here and she came with me since Jeff is STILL sick with this virus.
So we got all checked in and they wanted to start an IV of fluids and antibiotics and they had to catheterize her to get a urine sample. The nurse gave me the option of going in the room with her while she had all that done. I decided I didnt want her to associate me with pain so we stayed in the room and the nurses did the blood drawl and everything else. My mom and I had to sit in our room holding our ears cause we could hear her screaming! It was awful. They had a really hard time getting a blood drawl. The nurse said she was so dehydrated and they were so glad we brought her in. Dr. Patel came  in around 1030 or so to check her out which I wasnt sure if he was going to. I was really thankful for that. He said her stoma looked good and she was looking pretty good overall considering the dehydration and the UTI.
We finally got settled and I sent my mom home around midnight so she could get some sleep. I got Mayleigh to sleep in the crib (that looks like a jail) and we finally got a few hours of sleep. She slept pretty well considering.
This morning we went down to do an xray of her belly to see if she is constipated. Now we are waiting to go do the kidney ultrasound and to see the nurse practitioner on call. Unfortunately the nurse last night said she highly doubted that Patel would release us today. The antibiotics have to be given every 24 hours by IV. So that wont be until tonight that she will get another dose. They are testing her urine to find out what bacteria she has. That takes 24-48 hours.
My mom was suppose to fly back home today. With us being here for a few days and Jeff sick, I was sooo thankful she canceled her flight and is going to stay longer. I am so appreciative of that to have the extra help! I think we will need it!
I dont have my camera cord here at the hospital so I cant download any pics but we at least have a smiley, happy girl this morning. She has eaten cheerios (and thrown them all over) and yogurt this morning. She has been smiling at all the nurses and playing with her toy purse. She started waving when we say bye bye! :)
Just trying to take it one day at a time. I am having a hard time being here because I want to be home with the boys. Brennan is kinda nervous about why she is here. Luckily when we left last night Mayleigh was smiling and happy so he could tell by looking at her that she was ok. But he had come into our room in the middle of the night wanting to see if I was home yet and Jeff said he ended up sleeping with him. Which he NEVER sleeps in our bed. :( Just want him to know so bad that Mayleigh is going to be ok and I dont want him to worry.
I will keep everyone posted as we know more. Please pray for good results on her kidney ulstrasound. I am kinda nervous about that. Hoping things are functioning fine.



1 comment:

  1. Oh boy - I need to check this on a more regular basis! I had no idea til I got your text Monday....So glad you are home. Need to remember to pray for no more of this for her!!! <3

    ReplyDelete